At UCCNB, we not only welcome, but also affirm, love, and celebrate, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. As a congregation, UCCNB:
• Provides LGBTQ Christians a safe, affirming place to practice their faith.
• Affirms and supports LGBTQ youth and their families.
• Celebrates same-sex weddings and honors gender transitions.
• Advocates for LGBTQ rights.
• Offers educational opportunities on topics. related to the LGBTQ community.
• Encourages LGBTQ members to serve in leadership roles.
Many Christians have had mixed experiences when it comes to welcome based on sexual orientation and/or gender identity. That's why we've chosen to be very clear, voting as a congregation to make an Open and Affirming (OnA) commitment in 1994. In 2012, we voted as a congregation to oppose the Minnesota Marriage Amendment, which would have defined marriage in the Minnesota Constitution as between one man and one woman.
In 2019, to mark the 25th anniversary of becoming an OnA congregation, we set aside a Sunday in June to celebrate and renew our OnA commitment. Focused on the theme “Love Is,” the day included guest preachers and speakers, music honoring LGBTQ+ people, a video of members testifying about “What It Means To Be Part Of An OnA Congregation,” a meal in the fellowship hall, and memories shared by those who championed the OnA effort 25 years before. In addition, we amended our congregation’s OnA Covenant to be inclusive of all gender identities. We continue to celebrate and reaffirm our OnA commitment annually.
People of all sexual orientations and gender identities find affirmation, support, and respect at UCCNB.