A significant part of being in community as Christians is the care and compassion we share with those beyond our walls and in the communities in which we live.
Social action and advocacy are part of our call to express God's love for all people and for creation. In recent years, we have worked hard to advocate for:
- Racial and economic justice
- Marriage equality
- Ecological justice
- Voter rights
- Immigration issues
- Affordable housing
- Access to good public transportation
Each month we receive a special offering as part of our giving. This offers members and friends a chance to give as they feel called and inspired. We also have opportunities to serve and participate in sharing through the following agencies and groups:
- Holy Hammers: We help build a home in April and May of each year, and contribute to this regional expression of Habitat for Humanity.
- Loaves & Fishes: We have three opportunities to serve a meal at St. Stephen's Church in Minneapolis each year.
- The Social Concerns Network: This is a coalition of New Brighton area churches. It hosts a number of activities each year to serve this community, including a pancake breakfast, a coat drive, and the Walk a Mile for Our Neighbor event.
- The Community Emergency Assistance Program (CEAP): We give generously to this agency that helps us meet the emergency needs of people in our own community.
- Harmony Hat Makers: Inspired by the prevalent need for warm hats by immigrants and others through our long winters, this group of fastidious sewers meets once a month and produces approximately 1,000 hats each year! We meet on the 2nd Saturday of the month from 9:00 to 11:30 a.m. You do not need to know how to sew— you can cut, coordinate, and converse.
Our members are also often involved in a variety of other opportunities to show love and compassion beyond our walls, including trips to Feed My Starving Children, the Ralph Reeder Food Shelf, Loaves & Fishes, Meels on Wheels, Habitat for Humanity Mission Trips to Mississippi and South Dakota, and participation in the construction of PET's (Personal Energy Transports - hand-peddled ATV's that are sent to peolple with mobility issues in other countries) with PETMN, and many others.
See Our Affiliations to learn about our partnerships with other organizations.