A significant part of being in community as Christians is the care and compassion we share with those beyond our walls and in the communities in which we live.
Social action and advocacy are part of our call to express God's love for all people and for creation. In recent years, we have engaged in advocacy and action around:
- Racial justice (Anti-Racism Team)
- Economic justice (ISAIAH membership and participation)
- LGBTQ Justice (Open & Affirming Team)
- Ecological justice (Green Team)
- Voter rights (ISAIAH membership and participation)
- Immigration issues (ISAIAH)
- Affordable housing (MICAH membership and participation)
- Access to good public transportation (ISAIAH)
Each month we receive a special offering as part of our giving. This offers members and friends a chance to give as they feel called and inspired. We also have opportunities to serve and participate in sharing through the following agencies and groups:
- Holy Hammers: We help build a home in April through June of each year and contribute to this regional expression of Habitat for Humanity.
- Loaves & Fishes: We have opportunities to serve a meal several times a year.
- The Social Concerns Network: This is a coalition of New Brighton area churches identifying and addressing needs within the community.
- The Community Support Center (CSC): Works with local residents in need to prevent homelessness, solve financial crises, and provide long-term relationships.
- Harmony Hat Makers: Responding to the need within our community for warm hats and scarves to face our cold winters, this group meets to produce hundreds of fleece items each year.
- Mission Trips: Mission trips to Back Bay Mission in Biloxi, MS, and youth mission trips to different places as planned.
Our members are also often involved in a variety of other opportunities to show love and compassion beyond our walls, including volunteering with:
- Feed My Starving Children
- Ralph Reeder Food Shelf
- Meals on Wheels
- PET (Personal Energy Transports—hand-peddled ATVs that are sent to people with mobility issues in other countries) with MobilityWorldWide
- Many others
See "Our Affiliations" to learn about our partnerships with other organizations.